Reporting directly to the Employment Preparation Team Leader at WIL Employment Connections (WIL), the Employment Advisor is responsible for working with clients individually and in groups (in person or virtually) to deliver English Language Chat sessions. Working with clients in a computer lab setting the Employment Advisor will improve the listening, reading, writing and speaking skills of newcomers, strengthening conversational skills and developing employability skills for workplace success.
The mission of WIL Employment Connections (WIL) is to drive innovative employment solutions to bring immigrants and employers together. To support this mission, WIL and its partnership projects provide a suite of services and programs in information, referral, assessment, employment counselling and preparation, mentorship, licensure application assistance and facilitation of volunteer work experience placements leading to employment.
WIL Employment Connections welcomes candidates to apply for this full time contract position to March 31, 2018 (with possible extension). The successful candidate will possess superior skills in communication, classroom instruction with objective oriented presentation style, current labour market trends, developing and implementing workshop curriculum, and strong knowledge of technology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and activities to a group of up to 15 newcomers using a variety of active and engaging teaching strategies and assessment tools
- Develop and administer competency based assessments, monitor, and evaluate participants’ progress, providing appropriate constructive feedback on oral and written work
- Engage participants in conversations, identify challenges and determine strategies for improvements
- Facilitate the development of effective communication skills in person or using technology for successful workplace integration
- Manage the classroom effectively including discipline and professional conduct
- Build rapport with individuals, in person or online, providing support and guidance
- Support clients in the completion of computerized assignments by reviewing and editing documents
- Maintain complete and accurate records of participants into database and prepare reports (statistical and narrative)
- Create a positive professional environment to support clients’ self-confidence and motivation
- Prepare facility for sessions including equipment, materials, curriculum and handouts
- Keep up with current labour market trends and coach clients on tools for enhancing their job search and employability (networking, information interview, workplace culture, soft skills etc.)
- Prepare and deliver presentations in the community on the programs and services of WIL and its partnership projects
- 2+ years of experience in teaching English as a Second Language to adults
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Career Development, Education or the Social Sciences
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of the principles of group dynamics and adult education
- Ability to demonstrate passion and enthusiasm in facilitating and engaging audience
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum development
- Experience with various delivery methods, both in class and/or online
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of current labour market trends, online job search techniques, recruitment process, interviews methods, and hiring practices
- Knowledge of immigrant employment journey and integration into labour market
- Excellent communication skills: Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills
- Experience with reviewing written materials, editing for punctuation, misspelling, grammatical errors, clarity, and style, while providing feedback for quality work
- Flexible work style with ability to deal with competing priorities and thrive in a changing environment
- Passion for continuous improvement, creativity and innovation
- Results oriented, resourceful, able to take initiative, research and implement solutions
- Ability to work as part of an integrated team to achieve collective goals
- Strong technical skills and proficient use of computer software packages including: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, internet, database, and social media platforms.
- ESL Teacher Training Certification considered an asset
- Level B vocational assessments qualification considered an asset
- Common Assessment Training considered an asset
Please forward applications (covering letter and resume) no later than 4:00 pm on Monday, August 28, 2017 to:
Hiring Committee / Full Time Employment Advisor – English Language Facilitator – “WIL Chats”
c/o WIL Employment Connections
141 Dundas Street, 4th Floor
London, ON N6A 1G3
Applicants may also choose to submit application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference Hiring Committee/Full Time Employment Advisor – English Language Facilitator – “WIL Chats” in Subject Line. WIL Employment Connections values diversity in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We strive to foster a workplace in which all individuals maximize their potential, regardless of their differences. We are committed to providing accommodations for person with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to complete this application, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided at
all stages of the hiring process.
While we appreciate all applications received, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.